One R 1200 GS. One Mission – The best GS of all times.
The BMW R 1200 GS – the icon of all travel adventure bikes. For 32 years “the GS” has been defining its segment and has proven to be the trusty companion on any motorcycle journey. BMW Motorrad is now embarking on a new chapter of its success story and is yet again perfecting the iconic R 1200 GS.
One R 1200 GS. One Feeling – Power in every situation.
Powerful, refined, and high revving. The R 1200 GS is powered by a new opposed twin engine design delivering 125 horsepower. Based on a new concept of combined air and liquid cooling and vertical flows through the cylinders, the engine operates efficiently, reliably, and with high torques at all times. Further improvements like the new wet clutch with antihopping feature, the electromotive throttle actuator E-Gas, and the optional “riding modes” make the opposed twin engine the perfect drive solution at the heart of the new R 1200 GS.
One R 1200 GS. One Emotion – Supreme control
The new R 1200 GS is ready for any terrain, thanks to the greater rigidity of its main frame and its enhanced Paralever and Telelever for even greater steering accuracy. The optional Dynamic ESA configures the suspension automatically to the terrain and load conditions. The GS provides even more functions with the optional “riding modes”, a set of four different configurations that can be selected at the push of a button.
One R 1200 GS. One Impression – Strong individuality.
At first glance, the “new one” too is a genuine GS - robust, dynamic, and full of character. New body panels with a perfect finish underscore its high quality character. The new cooling concept was integrated seamlessly into the distinctive design, and the visual emphasis moved to the front. The new R 1200 GS now gives the impression of more balance and power. Thanks to its extensive range of options, the R 1200 GS is absolutely unique. With an innovative, unique LED headlamp, cross spoke wheels, and a wide choice of options and packages, everyone can convert this machine into “his” or "hers" GS.
• UNBELIEVABLE: Even more protection. Even more safety. Even more reliability. An even better appearance. The new accessories for the R 1200 GS optimise the machine on a completely personalized level. Reworked cylinder protectors, top-case for two helmets, even off-road protective parts like cooler grills and frame guards or luggage systems. Making the GS your own.
• IRRESISTIBLE: It captivates people worldwide with its good looks. The new body elements of the R 1200 GS highlight the never-ending urge for adventure. The new trim panel components with the galvanized radiator cowling demonstrate the increased visual robustness. The styles are even made out of out of stainless steel. The main frame color can be selected in three different finishes. High-quality design elements and attractive colors make the new GS unique. Character-defining right from the first screw. But whether it's elegant tank trims, front wheel spray protection, GS logos or new frame and body colors – the R 1200 GS has never been as diverse as this.
• ADAPTABLE: With the latest Dynamic ESA generation, the first class riding comfort has been increased once again. Optimal traction and the highest level of comfort on all terrain is ensured. Even with different loads, the optimal initial preload – and damping force at the spring elements – are provided. The sensor signals ensure that the suspension and damping also adapt to different loads. This makes it possible to achieve a level of damping comfort which was previously unfeasible and to keep the riding position optimal and sensitive at all times, which guarantees a noticeable plus when it comes to precision and stability in handling.
Hill Start Control
• UPHILL: Hill Start Control prevents uncontrolled rolling back on inclines by means of a targeted intervention in the partially integrated ABS brake system, without the brake lever having to be permanently depressed. When Hill Start Control is activated, the pressure in the rear brake system is built up so that the motorcycle remains stationary on an incline and the rider can touch the ground with both feet. Perfect for adventures in the mountains.
• OUTGOING: The riding modes of the next generation ensure you always have the right grip at the right time. Alongside the two standard riding modes "Rain" and "Road", the new optional riding modes Pro (Dynamic and Enduro) take you over any bumpy terrain without a hitch. Here, the Dynamic Pro setting ensures a generally firmer damping and sporty riding is supported. Switching on Enduro Pro ensures the perfect drive for ambitioned Enduro riders. A soft throttle response and restrained control intervention of the Enduro ASC make riding on loose terrain easy. Simply by switching between the riding modes you can react in a matter of seconds to different terrain; for brake intervention, the suspension element and also the electronic control systems of the throttle response and the engine characteristics. With just one button, the right mode is selected or when using the riding mode Pro adapted to the drivers needs – because adventure doesn't need a break.
• DURABLE: The appearance of the R 1200 GS is not only a visual highlight but a functional one too. The optical robustness of the GS has been increased once again thanks to innovations like a spray guard and wind guiding wing elements. Numerous extras such as roll bars make it even more robust – for practically any adventure. Thanks to the latest technology, the sensors react even more accurately to the various conditions and in so doing, make the GS less susceptible to undesired situations.
• UNORTHODOX: Remaining seated is not a problem with the countless possibilities. Even when the experienced GS rider would rather ride around in the terrain standing up, it is worth sitting down. Because the seat heights and various comfort or rally seat benches leave nothing to be desired. From tall and sporty to comfortable and ideal for touring. You will always embark on an adventure in comfort, even as a pair.
• RALLYE OR TOUR: Long stretches or ambitioned off-road adventure? The new styles of the R 1200 GS make both possible. With high-quality materials and details the Exclusive style adds visual highlights and places the focus on touring. A comfortable seat bench and touring extras ensure the required level of comfort. Stainless steel and visual highlights ensure an elegant appearance at every look-out point. Those who opt for the Rallye style choose the adventure off the beaten track. An optionally heightened chassis, many functional off-road parts and black spoke rims with optional lugged tyres tempt you onto the dirt track. And the paintwork is an homage to the rally legend. The Rallye style is made for the off-road adventure. Regardless of which adventure you prefer, the genes of the R 1200 GS are behind both styles – a guarantor for the spirit of GS.